Leveling The Playing Field For Fathers In Illinois Child Custody Proceedings
Historically, mothers were automatically awarded custody of children and were the gatekeepers of how much access the father had to his children. The Illinois courts and family law statutes have been overhauled to give dads equal consideration in divorce and custody proceedings, and to establish legal standing for unmarried fathers to demand a role in their child’s life.
On paper, fathers have specific rights. Yet they still face bias and barriers in the legal system, from moms who game the system to certain judges who still decidedly favor mothers.
At Taege Law Offices, our attorneys are strong believers in fathers’ rights and the crucial role that dads play in raising healthy and happy children. We are proud of our reputation for effective advocacy of men in all facets of custody and co-parenting.
Fathers’ Rights Is Not A Dirty Word
In some circles, “fathers’ rights” has a connotation of woman-hating or scorched-earth tactics. That is not our approach or our value system. We simply stand up for fair treatment under the law for dads – nothing more and nothing less. We regularly represent fathers in a wide range of family law disputes, including:
- Contested custody – Fighting for primary placement or shared physical custody
- Parenting time – Maximizing the percentage of parenting time or enforcing visitation rights
- Parent relocation – Challenging a petition by the custodial mother to move the kids out of Illinois
- Parental alienation – Holding mothers accountable for intentionally driving a wedge between dads and their children
- Paternity actions – Establishing parentage for unmarried fathers and securing scheduled visitation or co-custody
- Modification hearings – Filing or fighting petitions to alter court orders relating to custody, visitation or child support
- Domestic violence protection orders – Defending against protective orders used as a weapon in divorce and custody proceedings
Our law firm also advocates for mothers’ rights when women are economically disadvantaged or otherwise not getting a fair shake in the court system.
Our Role Is Supporting Fathers In Their Role
Taege Law Offices represents fathers in the Chicago area family courts, including Cook, Lake, Dupage, Will and Kane counties.